Jafar Panahi tests the limits of his filmmaking ban with This Is Not a Film
There's a cliché in criticism that certain technically accomplished movies are "pure cinema," and in a sense, if this is not a film, it's pure filmmaking. It presents itself as a document, but its authenticity is questionable, and for a man who is banned from filmmaking, so is its legitimacy. But it is a process in action and in dialogue with itself. It is an act of defiance, and the product of an artist's self-effacing need to express himself. Whether or not this is a film, it is a profound artistic howl.
THIS IS NOT A FILM opens Fri/6 at SF Film Society Cinema.
Most Commented On
- Geller is an unhinged loon. - May 24, 2013
- I see. Your tactic is to - May 24, 2013
- And do you agree that if a - May 24, 2013
- I guess we can count you - May 24, 2013
- The writing is on the wall (on the waterfront, that is) - May 24, 2013
- Street music - May 23, 2013
- Okay. In case you hadn't - May 23, 2013
- So that would make Asians - May 23, 2013
- Kind of funny...... - May 23, 2013
- And anyway, you missed my - May 23, 2013