Invoking that teen goth witch drag spirit: Peaches Christ raises 'The Craft' with Sharon Needles and Alaska Thunderfuck
That meanness should play out in some deviously amusing ways during Christ's The Craft: Of Drag show before the film. The queens play themselves emulating characters in the movie, with key scenes thrown in (someone will get thrown out of a window, and there will be a levitating "light as a feather, stiff as a board" moment) — but with a Drag Race twist. The reason the witches all turn on Christ's "Sarah" this time, is because she's never been on Drag Race.
This inevitably leads to the question of why not? "I don't think I'd survive," Christ says. "I've said this to Sharon, I admire them so much for being able to go on that show but Peaches is a very established character that I've been doing for a long, long, long time, so it's very hard for me in a lot of ways to be flexible. You know, I always wear that Bozo the Clown paint, and I just know I'd be ripped to shreds," she says. Though she has been sending out signals to producers World of Wonder and RuPaul that she should come on as a guest judge for a hypothetical Scream Queen challenge.
It was the show, however, that first introduced her to Needles — Elvira was the guest judge on the first episode of Needles' season, and she fell in love with the queen (who spurts blood from her mouth during her runway walk). Elvira immediately told Christ, and that's why she first reached out to Needles, last year.
Along with heaps of praise for Elvira, and the show in general, Needles and Thunderfuck both tell me the drama in their seasons was all real.
Says Needles, "When you take 13 adult males and dress them up like teenage girls, take away their cigarettes and booze, and force them in front of a camera for 16 hours a day for two months, you don't need a producer or a storyboard, it writes itself."
PEACHES CHRIST PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS THE CRAFT
Sat/13, 3pm and 8pm, $25
429 Castro, SF
- Cameroon,i must tell you about a wonderful doctor that cure my - August 21, 2014
- i happy living with it, and i went into research on how i can g - August 21, 2014
- Vulnerable San Francisco ignores growing tech bubble talk - August 21, 2014
- SPELL CASTER THAT BRING MY EX LOVER BACK IN JUST 48HOURS - August 21, 2014
- One can keep all the existing - August 21, 2014
- We don't need a shit ton of condos - August 20, 2014
- Why sf why not San Jose? - August 20, 2014
- Ed Lie's support is less than - August 20, 2014
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014