It takes a village — and a Google Doc — to legalize pot: California's Marijuana Control, Legalization and Revenue Act of 2014, a new crowd-sourced legislation proposal
As the final, amended version of the MCLR initiative undergoes evaluation by the office of the Secretary of State, the greatest obstacle now facing AFPR is the task of raising the $2 million needed to gather signatures for the petition. Without that funding, the measure won't appear on the 2014 ballot, regardless of all the effort and collaboration already invested. The organization has been cultivating relationships with prospective sponsors, but collecting that large of a sum will not be easy.
Still, the initiative's proponents remain confident. According to the most recent survey data released by AFPR, 64 percent of California voters want to legalize marijuana in 2014. This support follows a broader trend: Results of a recent Gallup poll show that for the first time since Americans were first polled on their attitudes toward marijuana in 1969, a clear majority of Americans — 58 percent — say it should be legalized.
"The time is now," declared John Lee, another proponent. "The voters are ready, and we can get it done."
What getting it done will ultimately mean, in practice, is anyone's guess.
"We're talking about a lot of saved money as far as people going to jail, better use of resources, and a new stream of revenue for the state," Hodges predicts. "There's obviously gonna be some sort of liquor-store type models. But I've heard of everything from marijuana-friendly bed and breakfasts, to high-end bars that will have girls going around like cigarette girls used to, but with different types of pre-rolled joints."
Taking it all in, he concluded, "The possibilities are pretty endless. But if this initiative passes, we will set a standard for the rest of the country."
Most Commented On
- Distraction from Reality does NOT change TRUTH ... - March 12, 2014
- Colored People of Color - March 12, 2014
- Olds on the internets - March 12, 2014
- The rule is four or maybe - March 12, 2014
- How would one expect outside - March 12, 2014
- At what point, and more - March 12, 2014
- PUT A PICTURE if you want - March 12, 2014
- I'm just asking questions - March 12, 2014
- Taxi Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Good luck SFBG/Ex - screw the Chron if they're doin that - March 12, 2014