Building momentum around prison activism 518 Valencia, SF. 7pm, free. Hear from former prisoners, activists and organizers who were engaged in the prisoners' hunger strike at Pelican Bay. This event, Build to Resist, seeks to promote movement building with a focus on prisoners. Speakers will include Linda Evans of prisoner advocacy alliance All of Us or None, Azadeh Zohrabi of the Hunger Strike Coalition, and others.
Anarchist Book Fair The Armory Community Center, 1800 Mission St, SF. www.bayareaanarchistbookfair.wordpress.com, firstname.lastname@example.org. 10am-6pm, Sat/16 and Sun/17, free. The annual Bay Area Anarchist Book Fair, presented by Bound Together Books, brings together more than 75 radical booksellers, independent presses, and political groups from around the world. Speakers will include George Katsiaficas, author of "Asia's Unknown Uprisings;" Eddie Yuen and Jim Davis, co-authors of The Apocalyptic Politics of Collapse and Rebirth; Terry Bisson of the Beehive Design Collective, and more. Visit the website for more events happening that weekend.
Bayard Rustin Birthday Celebration Orbit Room Café, 1900 Market, SF. www.bayardrustincoalition.com. 5-7:30pm, $5–$10 suggested donation. The Bayard Rustin LGBT Coalition will celebrate the life and legacy of openly gay African American community organizer Bayard Rustin with this fundraiser, featuring food and a no-host bar. Rustin is widely remembered for organizing the Great March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom 50 years ago. A teaser for the event reads: "What would Bayard do? Get to work. Get to organizing. Get to making history. Get to creating change. .. and he would party hearty on his birthday along the way."
Most Commented On
- Case Law, Not constitutional theory - May 23, 2013
- The SFBG's Comment Trolls Live In Egypt - May 23, 2013
- Greg, I generally agree with your viewpoints. - May 23, 2013
- Who are the "many"? - May 23, 2013
- Thanks for your personal note of concern, Guest, - May 23, 2013
- They can move but they can't vote - May 23, 2013
- I just don't think we should be punishing success that way - May 23, 2013
- You misunderstand. I think SFBG should smash unions and - May 23, 2013
- So you criticize the SFBG's personnel policies - May 23, 2013
- lots of music and art every day - May 23, 2013