Call it what you will — the fresh, soulful sound of The Seshen demands to be heard
Just past a tiny enclave marked by a photo of Ehara's grandfather is the producer's recording and mixing setup — the band does it all, quite literally and very meticulously, in-house. The value of Ehara's determined focus on the subtleties of a mix cannot be overstated, say his bandmates. In honing the band's sound, says Ehara, he's influenced by delving into the history of electronic music, he says, going back to John Cage and early BBC radio electronica. "That, alone, opened a whole other door for me."
"I've played in a lot of bands, and I've never been in one that pays this much attention to detail," says drummer Chris Thalmann. "Everyone has a really high level of expectation for what we put out there." That perfectionism is starting to get attention: In January, they inked a deal with Tru Thoughts, an independent label out of Brighton, UK. After the EP comes out, the big plan for 2014 is to tour more — pack themselves into a 15-passenger van and find out if they get along as well on the road, stinky socks and all, as they do at home.
"We do have to corral ourselves back into working sometimes," says Orr. "It is pretty amazing that with this many people we all really get along, but we do. We have fun, and we love each other. That part's organic."
"I think that's part of what sets us apart from some electronic acts," says Kopelman. "We're seven people making something together. Not, you know, a mustachioed hipster on a laptop."
Most Commented On
- Wait just a little - the - April 16, 2014
- WONDERFUL MAN THAT GIVE MY FAMILY JOY AND HAPPINESS AND MAY MY G - April 16, 2014
- My life is back!!! After - April 16, 2014
- MY HUSBAND DIVORCE ME BUT: email@example.com BROUGTH HIM BACK - April 16, 2014
- BEST SPELL CASTER - April 16, 2014
- So Google glasses are BAD and - April 16, 2014
- Exactly. It must have a - April 16, 2014
- The Best Spell caster... Thanks to Prophet Ibu - April 16, 2014
- EsqGxhaSFO - April 16, 2014
- uSDPPdssFIKHP - April 16, 2014