Localized Appreesh is our thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What began life as a side-project for Il Gato drummer Johnny Major has grown into a hyper melodic, can't-miss, feel-good group to know. Or as I breathlessly wrote after catching an early show at the Hemlock: Adios Amigo is pure indie-pop bliss, in the vein of Broken Social Scene and the Shins.
In this one, Major leads as singer-songwriter-guitarist, backed by guitarist Rahi Kumar, bassist Alex Coehn, drummer Stephen Wills, Claire Grinton on keys and fiddle, and percussionist Catalina Atria – along with warm multi-part harmonies put forth by all those involved.
The band released Dos last year, and starts 2013 off right with a headlining gig at Cafe Du Nord. Learn more about Adios Amigo below, but first check out the video for plucky “Chicken” and see how long you can hold out without cracking a grin.
Video Credit: Caitlyn Adkins
Year and location of origin: 2011, San Francisco
Band name origin: Sitting in a cubicle in SOMA, dreaming of escaping to South America, I came up with the name. It means 'Goodbye Friend'.
Band motto: "¡Hasta la victoria siempre!" - "Until victory, always!"
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Grandiose, jangly, guitar-driven, harmonic psych-pop
Instrumentation: Two Guitars, one bass, one keyboard, one drum set.
Most recent release: Dos EP - June, 2012.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: Living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, being a part of one of the best music scenes in the world, playing awesome venues, great food, liberals.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: The rent. Too high.
First album ever purchased: Green Day's Dookie, or the Forrest Gump soundtrack.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Tame Impala, Lonerism.
Favorite local eatery and dish: The Little Chihuahua -- Garlic Shrimp Burrito. Everyday.
Most Commented On
- Many folks get their down payment from the - May 18, 2013
- Death wishes now? For furnishing a taxonomy? - May 18, 2013
- For the simple reason that a majority disagree with you, - May 18, 2013
- Illegals usually work "back of house" and so - May 18, 2013
- No, Venom, I have knowingly hired illegals. Why? - May 18, 2013
- You're well aware that wasn't what I meant - May 18, 2013
- Stepping stones for most wage earners in sf - May 18, 2013
- respect the castro neighborhood - May 18, 2013
- The collective guilt argument. - May 18, 2013
- Right on, Venom... - May 18, 2013