Is San Francisco ready for the electric bike?

My ride: I cruised with one of New Wheel's e-bikes from Vancouver brand Ohm.
GUARDIAN PHOTO BY CAITLIN DONOHUE

"I'm so excited for that hill!" I shouted. And I was on a bike.

I've never been excited for a hill on a bike before. But last week I tooled around on an electric bicycle with Karen and Brett Thurber, the husband-wife owners of Bernal Hieghts' sweet-swanky new shop New Wheel. We did about half of a 49-mile scenic drive (the one created in 1939 for the Golden Gate International Exposition that was meant to showcase the city's then-new neighborhoods), went up Twin Peaks, and I felt like a million bucks at the end of it.

I tell you this at the risk of sounding soft to pretty much every biker I know, but: "e-bikes" are fun. You can decide yourself -- New Wheel's always open for test rides, and it has a weekend of festivities planned Sat/31-Sun/1 to introduce the metal steeds to your loins. If you're open.

Electric bikes have a PR problem in the states. I think that's because the wrong set of people are the ones aware of them. E-bikes have little allure for the urban warrior, those of us with quads of steel powering up the Wiggle, trackstanding, flinging our back wheels all around at stop lights. Or they do -- but it's reserved for that novel day when we just want to cruise and have the magnitude of our pedaling amplified two, three times. I'm telling you, it was a blast cruising up Twin Peaks without getting winded.

I won't be trading in my vintage Motobecane for one of these bad boys. There's the fitness factor -- although you can turn off the motor, I probably wouldn't if I had the option to hit those hills on Dolores Street with that amount of ease -- the environmental factor -- even though it only takes three cents worth of electricity to charge up the bike enough to ride it up to 65 miles, that's still more than the zero electricity I'm using currently -- and oh god yes, the price factor. One of New Wheel's retrofit kits, which allows you to turn a non-motorized bike into an electric one, starts at $1699. A bike that was built to be electric starts at $2549, with most models between $2999 and $3999. Brett and Karen Thurber compare these prices with what you'd spend on public transportation on that same amount of time, or -- gasp! -- what you'd spend on a car. Maybe they're right, but that's a big nut to handle even with the shop's 12-month no interest payment plans.

My personal preference aside, don't discount the electric bike. There are certain neighborhoods in San Francisco that are (not) flat-out daunting to tackle on two wheels. A lot of folks just won't do it -- and that's where the utility of these bikes come in. See, they're not environmentally friendly when compared to regular old rides. But they are vastly better than a mo-ped, a motorcycle, a car. For an elderly person, these bikes are the perfect excuse to keep riding. One wonders how much easier e-bikes would make bike commuting for city families, one of the demographics the bike movement has had the most trouble with fitting into our current system.

Relatively speaking, the United States is way behind on the electric bike curve. In China, the things vastly outnumber cars. They are also popular in Europe, and on our ridiculously fun ride around the city Brett Thurber told me that some European brands were so eager to get into the SF market, where they see an optimal city for electric bike use, that they sent him models to sell on consignment. A splashy Outdoor Magazine feature last year (that posits Thurber as a could-be revolution-starter) quoted a green tech analyst firm that predicted the sale of e-bikes would double in the next five years.

New Wheel's promo posters are designed on the diagonal, so that an e-bike rider cruising on an up-slant past a row of Victorians is suddenly on level ground when the images are hung as intended. Their Twitter campaign #flattensf speaks to this aspirational desire to iron the adverse inclines out of city riding.

Is SF going to fall in on this one? We'll see -- at the moment the trend is so new that many logistics in regards to the bikes' place in the city's network of bike lanes have yet to be worked out. Currently, New Wheel is the only bike store to focus more or less exclusively on electric models, dealing primarily in Ohm, Kahlkoff, and Kettler brands, with Bionx retrofit systems available. Locally, you can also check the bikes out at Noe Valley Cyclery

E-bikes are definitely worth a look-see, if only for the novelty of quick, easeful spurts up Bernal Hill. This weekend, New Wheel's making a big push to get their bikes underneath San Francisco. On Sat/31 there will be a 11am to 6pm tour of the 49 Mile Scenic ride is planned. You can win a spot by participating in New Wheel's daily Twitter and Facebook discussions. (Normally, a 24-hour rental of one of the bikes costs $85.) There will also be chances for shorter test rides, an SF cartography exhibit at 6pm that evening by Schein and Schein Antique Maps and Prints, and an open house at 6pm Sun/1.

The New Wheel's Weekend of Festivities

Sat/31, 11am-9pm; Sun/1, 10am-9pm

The New Wheel

420 Cortland, SF

(415) 524-7362

www.newwheel.net

Comments

Technology is developing day by day and electric technology is improving day by day. Revolution is improving the standards of the technology recently electric cars were the latest coming trends now of electric bike. This will definitely help people to find new technology.

Posted by Samuel Norton on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 1:46 am

I am not clear if this is the right category to put this, but I have a heartfelt question.

What are ways that you can loose weight , I know there's exercising , and walking , going on a healthy diet.. But what are some others ? And no one tell me exercise , or walking , healthy diets , not eating .. I mean like home remedies , and crazy ones ? No crash diets . I just want to know what kind of ways there is out therre..

Posted by fmzqoeczba on May. 24, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

You never know how an electric bike can transform your life. The biggest advantage of electric bike is that it does not need gas, means no pollution. So, I think i t would be a great replacement for other means of transportation.

Posted by Wheelfire.com on Apr. 16, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

I'm in my late 50s, and never thought I would be able to bike again. Especially to my home, on a steep street in Bernal Heights. The bike I got at The New Wheel is great - I can chose a low-assist mode for most of my ride, but then click it up a bit when I get to the hill. It still takes effort, and is getting me into better shape. And best of all, I don't need to get into my car just to get groceries, or get about town!

Posted by Neil on Sep. 17, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Humans will always find ways to make our own lives easier, and this e-bikes phenomenon is definitely another manifestation of that principle. I am pretty sure many people will appreciate having them, especially if the terrains they bike on have steep inclines.

Posted by Thomas on Jun. 14, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

I did see a university study that shows in terms of resources ebikes and muscle powered bikes were more or less equal. Please stop saying ebikes use more resources than regular bikes. Ebikes use electricity for power which can be efficiently generated and efficiently used, while regular bikes use groceries. Vast amounts of oil go into growing, processing and transportation of those groceries, so unless you are producing those eggs, that coffee, wheat and oranges you consumed for breakfast in your back yard, your pedal bicycle is running on oil. At least with electric I have the option of setting up a solar charger in my back yard to run my ebike, not so my car or bicycle. In Ontario I can opt for Bullfrog Power, which is all renewable energy.

It seems North Americans think bicycles are only for exercise and not for transportation, a concept not lost in all Asian and European countries. People should smile and wave at you when you are using your ebike, no apologies necessary, because you are not using oil imported from countries that hate us and given half a chance would destroy us and our way of life.

Posted by orillia3 on Apr. 05, 2012 @ 10:31 am

=v= The crux, very simply, is whether an electric bike is replacing a car or replacing a real bike. It would be great if the people peddling (not pedaling) these gadgets would target motorists rather than bicyclists, but in the last 20 years I've only seen that happen once.

I haven't seen one elderly person on one of these.

Bonus bad karma for the soundtrack on this video. In live performances of "Brand New Key," Melanie has made it clear that she's proud of getting around on her own power -- not with an electric assist.

Posted by Jym Dyer on Apr. 03, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

The problem is how many able-bodied people use these when they can be using their God-given bodies to get around instead. It's the same problem with everything else in our society -- people get spoiled by our wasteful materialist lifestyle, & that makes us too damn lazy. Cars wouldn't be a problem, either, if only the people who absolutely needed them used one. That's why I will never be a huge fan of the electric bike.

Posted by grrlfriday on Apr. 03, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

When your knees aren't the same in a few years...when you decide to use a bike without a shower facility on the other end...maybe you'll consider some power assist.

We've outfitted over a thousand people with electric power assist, bikes, trikes, and kits for existing bikes, trikes and quads...located in San Francisco, though not a store-front shop, for over 10 years have handled local sales and service as well as wholesale and mail-order sales. Our products are considerably less expensive than others. www.electroportal.com

Posted by Guest on Sep. 05, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

You can build your own for around $700. All instructions are easy to follow and free on Youtube!

Posted by Joe Wiley on Apr. 02, 2012 @ 11:50 am