If riding fixed gear bikes on BMX-style ramps and structures sounds like something you'd think up after a half-case of energy drink, take heart oh palpitation pal -- it was in fact dreamed up by Red Bull. Also, you'll be able to check out the absolute chaos on Thu/26 and Sat/28 sans worries of smashing your own over-caffinated brain box all over the asphalt.
Oh yes, this is the Red Bull Ride + Style event, the second year of the taurine queen's atypical sport biking event. I checked it out last year and was blown away not only by the fact that competitors were catching air on their fixed gears, but also by the art -- the main event's structures were tricked out by some of SF's finest illustrators. This year, Apex, Jet Martinez, Chor Boogie, and Max Ehrman will try their hand at beautifying the madness.
One thing that's different about this year's festivities is that it would appear that a year has stoked the interest of more riders -- 2012 will feature a qualifying event on Thu/26 at Mezzanine that will serve as gauntlet for those looking to flip about Justin Herman Plaza on Saturday.
Track qualifying heats
Thu/26 7pm-midnight, free
444 Jessie, SF
Red Bull Ride + Style
Sat/28 noon-6pm, free
Justin Herman Plaza
Market and Embarcadero, SF
Most Commented On
- As a minority female who - December 11, 2013
- Social Darwinism? Ha. These - December 11, 2013
- browse this site - December 11, 2013
- To: Alex Tom and Vincent - December 11, 2013
- Nobody should be fasting to - December 11, 2013
- priestandrew thank you sir. - December 11, 2013
- cops = pigs - December 11, 2013
- The think you don't have to - December 11, 2013
- Why? - December 11, 2013
- thank you - December 11, 2013