On Wed/14, members of the San Francisco Democratic County Central Committee voted 14-6 to oppose Proposition B, a San Francisco ballot measure backed by the developers of a luxury waterfront development project, 8 Washington. Ten DCCC members abstained, while two voted “no endorsement.” Prop. B seeks voter approval for the waterfront development, which has become a flashpoint in San Francisco politics.
The 134-unit condominium complex, which will offer units in the $5 million range, already won approval from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors last June. But 8 Washington developers launched the Prop. B initiative in response to Prop. C, a referendum backed by oppositional campaign “No Wall on the Waterfront.” In May, the DCCC made an early endorsement against Prop. C, essentially siding with project opponents in declaring opposition to 8 Washington.
It’s easy to get Props. B and C confused. The campaign against 8 Washington is called “No Wall on the Waterfront,” while the developer-backed campaign favoring construction has been dubbed “Open up the Waterfront.” From opponents’ perspective, it almost doesn’t matter if voters bother to sort out which is which. Now with the support of the DCCC, they are urging a “no” vote on each.
Last week we told you about a campaign video produced by 8 Washington developers that had attracted some controversy. Here’s a campaign video produced by 8 Washington opponents, featuring former San Francisco Mayor Art Agnos. The pitch makes sound like the San Francisco waterfront will morph into Miami Beach if 8 Washington moves forward. You have to admit it’s a stretch.
Most Commented On
- Do you want your Ex back after a divorce - April 16, 2014
- READ THE BILL. - April 16, 2014
- No, they can't. If I was - April 16, 2014
- Economic reform is about money printing, not dispatchers - April 16, 2014
- I think you're - April 16, 2014
- Yes, anyone who files an Ellis 30/90 days after the effective - April 16, 2014
- Yes, after a while as a landlord, you develop a sixth sense of - April 16, 2014
- Of course, why do some tenants think that they have a lifetime - April 16, 2014
- LOL, Benito has had 37 years of stupid cheap rent and now you - April 16, 2014
- Maybe there are bad LL's, but so what? - April 16, 2014