The recent debate about high-end retailer Jack Spade seeking to open up shop in the former location of Adobe Books has placed concerns about gentrification in San Francisco’s Mission District to the front burner yet again.
To spark a dialogue about an appropriate community response to the changing fabric of the neighborhood, community activists have organized a discussion forum scheduled for Monday, Sept. 23.
As rents soar, countless longtime businesses and residents are being priced out of the Mission. From the event description:
“How do we, as a community, feel about this? What can we learn from each other as we consider how to confront the issues of a changing neighborhood and city? Coming from our many perspectives, are there matters that some, most, or all of us can agree upon? … What urgent and long-term actions can we take to support existing local businesses and maintain the diversity and unique character of the Mission District? These are just a few of the questions we may discuss at this meeting.”
The meeting will be hosted at the Center for Political Education on Valencia Street, and participants will represent a host of local businesses and community organizations including Calle 24 SF, Eviction Free San Francisco, Encantada Gallery, the Mission Neighborhood Resource Center, PODER, Shaping San Francisco and the Valencia Corridor Merchants Association.
The discussion will be moderated by Rose Aguilar, host of Your Call on KALW.
The event will be held at 522 Valencia on Monday, Sept. 23 at 6pm and is free to attend.
Most Commented On
- Like I said, Jym - April 17, 2014
- Amazing spell caster - April 17, 2014
- Re: Hey, Greg, you used my line. - April 17, 2014
- grow up - April 17, 2014
- Exactly, the one quorum that absolutely cannot be trusted are - April 17, 2014
- LOL, are you saying that "Jym" isn't really your first name? - April 17, 2014
- They can't afford $2? - April 17, 2014
- Muni is effectively free since it is massively subsidized - April 17, 2014
- But we pay those city workers either way, and - April 17, 2014
- You do know that you are - April 17, 2014